beautiful coincidence

Assalamualaikum, 

Before anything-- I would like to clarify the word 'coincidence' in this context :)

In Islam, we believe that everything is in Allah's plan. Allah SWT planned for us to go through that particular situation, at that exact time. In fact, Allah decreed everything from the beginning of time until the end. “Know you not that Allah knows all that is in the heaven and on the earth? Verily, it is (all) in the Book (Al‑Lawh Al‑Mahfooz). Verily, that is easy for Allah” [Quran, al-Hajj 22:70]

It is known that coincidence means something taking place on its own, happening without any measures. If it is used in the sense of taking place on its own by denying the Creator, it becomes polytheism. However, 'coincidence' in today usage is to explain how things coming across unexpectedly without thinking about it (in terms of people's understanding and thinking, not contrary to Allah's knowledge)

I love coincidence,

these unexpected occurrences--

how someone can

know,

befriend,

hate and

love

someone else


anything is possible after that one encounter


Isn't it beautiful to know that anyone you meet, know or even pass by just now, could be someone significant in your life maybe in the future or in the past? Perhaps, we were indebted for someone's unknown kindness numerous times in our life.

I befriended someone whom I met through my friend by chance

I accidentally became one of the few to stay till the end of an event which I ended up joining the other three strangers spending most of the night outside of the campus

I went to an interview because I was bored without knowing it was such a life-changing decision and

I let a classmate I barely knew, became my roommate

which is... THE BEST LIFETIME CHOICE I EVER MADE!

I'm writing this for Nurin, my roommate of the third semester (it's her birthday today!). Our encounter was one of the most beautiful coincidence ever happened to me. How did we meet? It was in my 1st year where we registered to the same class. It was just one class, but we ended up somehow-- becoming group mates for an assignment. We did not become super close right from the start because I already befriended the other members of the group. Nurin also was the quiet type while I'm kinda the loud one... right? :/ 

The assignment was to held a CSR event like volunteering so we ended up spending a lot of time together as a group as it requires a lot of meetings and sharing sessions. Alhamdulillah, the event ended successfully. So where's the story? It actually started during the small talks during the meetings when I nonchalantly shared about having no roommate as my previous roommate is already in the finishing year. Nurin took more interest in that because she is actually thinking of getting a different room at a lower level (mine was at the lowest level, no stairs huhu). 

So, we talked a bit, but it is getting nowhere at that time because I was really occupied with club events. Fortunately, our Nurin is a determined person. She came to my room a couple times after asking me through WhatsApp. If I'm not mistaken, one of the times she did not even tell me first and I was like... uh-huh she must be really serious in changing room (I've got no sense, a bit slow). At first, I did not really think much about having a new roommate because I had no time to think of it and I am kinda fine with anyone which means I'm also okay having Nurin as my roommate.

We wrote a letter to the dorm's principal to request having the same room. Actually, I have many reasons why I need a roommate that I can be comfortable with. Firstly, it was for my health as I'm always sick with asthma attacks (& other illnesses) so undeniably I really need someone to accompany me in the room. Secondly, having many allergies & asthma triggers really made me ponder on having someone that I can talk to about everything. For instance, asking them to help me to find medicines, call the hospital and etc. Thirdly, we all know personality is above all. Although some got no choices and ended up with good roommates, there are also many cases of stressful incidents occur because of miscommunication or lifestyle difference between roommates.  

Alhamdulillah, our request was granted approval after waiting for semester break. After that, we tried our best to understand each other and yaaa it was all worth it after all because we became so close to the point I still miss all memories we shared. Although we live together for only a semester before I went to Indonesia for the mobility programme, we were still close till now. If Allah wills, we'll become roommate once again this fifth semester!

May Allah bless this friendship and this beautiful person named Nurin Adriana that had helped me so much-- with her wisdom, energy and jokes. I miss you! 


x, Zahirah Zainal

Comments